At Mountain View Lutheran Church, we believe in lifelong faith formation. Education is available for all ages. Rock Ministry is for children from age 2 through youth in high school. Adult education is offered on Sunday mornings and Wednesday evenings. Bible studies take place on a weekly, semi-monthly, or monthly basis, dependent upon the group.
ROCK MINISTRY • Sunday mornings at 9:30 a.m.
Traditional Sunday school and confirmation classes have been replaced by our own Rock Ministry, which emphasizes children and youth in conversation with adult mentors on Sunday mornings and Wednesday evenings. In addition to weekly meetings, Rock Ministry also includes retreats and rites for each age group.
► Family Home Blessing with Pastor Bri for all Rock Ministry children, parents, and mentors. 9:30 a.m. on Sunday 1/6 in the Gym.
ADULT EDUCATION • Sunday mornings at 9:30 a.m.
Pastors, area college professors (Pacific Lutheran University and University of Puget Sound), ministry partners, and MVLC ministry groups lead adult education on Sunday mornings. Classes focus on books of the Bible, areas of discipleship, and issues of concern to Christians.
Winter 2020 Session Schedule for Adult Education
► “Hymnology—the Who, Why, When, Where, and How of What We Sing” • three-week class with Pastor Glenn Petersen
► Sunday, February 2 • “Hymnology” class 1
► Sunday, February 9 • “Hymnology” class 2
► Sunday, February 16 • “Hymnology” class 3
Listen/watch recent past adult education classes:
- Dealing with Loss - Session 3 - "Ruth's Example"
- Dealing with Loss - Session 2 - "Jesus' Text" Psalm 22 - An Individual Lament
- A Day in the Life: How Mountain View Families Are Coping with Stay Home, Stay Healthy
- Panel Discussions on Vocation - Session 2
- Panel Discussions on Vocation - Session 1
- Living into the Faith - Session 5
- Living into the Faith - Session 4
- Living into the Faith - Session 3
- Living into the Faith - Session 1
- "Can We Talk? Discourse & Civility" - Session 2
- "Can We Talk? Discourse & Civility" - Session 1
ExALT • Wednesday evenings at 5:45 p.m.
ExALT: Extraordinary Active Life Together is a time for the community of faith to gather for a shared meal, fellowship, and classes taught by our pastors. Dinner is at 5:45 p.m. Classes are at 6:30 p.m.
ExALT classes for adults. Wednesday evenings. 6:30 p.m. Life Together Hall. ExALT classes for kids in 1-7 grades. Wednesday evenings. 6:30 p.m. Education Building.
Winter 2020 Session Schedule for ExALT
► “Start with Jesus” • three-week class with Pastor John Vaswig
► Wednesday, February 5
► Wednesday, February 12
► Wednesday, February 19
Listen/watch to recent past ExALT adult education classes:
- The Parables of Jesus - Session 5
- The Parables of Jesus - Session 4
- The Parables of Jesus - Session 3
- The Parables of Jesus - Session 2
- The Parables of Jesus - Session 1
- Friends in Faith Overview - Small Groups
- Small Group Ministry Launch - ExALT
- Conversations about Pacific Lutheran University
- Stretching our Ministry Dollars
VACATION BIBLE SCHOOL
Each summer, Mountain View Lutheran Church runs a week-long Vacation Bible School (Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 12 noon each day) for children age 3 through sixth grade.
► MVLC Vacation Bible School will be Monday, July 6 through Friday, July 10, 2020.
► VIEW photos of Day One of “ROAR” 2019 VBS.
► VIEW photos of Day Two of “ROAR” 2019 VBS.
► VIEW photos of Day Three of “ROAR” 2019 VBS.
► VIEW photos of Day Four of “ROAR” 2019 VBS.
► VIEW photos of Day Five of “ROAR” 2019 VBS.
MEN’S BIBLE STUDY
All men are invited to participate in a Bible study each Saturday morning at 7:30 a.m. in the Chapel basement. This Bible study is a lectionary-based study examining the texts for the next day’s worship services.
WOMEN’S BIBLE STUDY
All women are invited to participate in a Bible study held on the first and third Thursday mornings of each month. This Bible study is a pastor-led study examining various books of the Bible.
► On break for the summer. Thursday morning Women’s Bible study resumes in September 2018.
Senior Pastor John L. Vaswig recommends both core biblical texts for adults to read and favorite Bible stories for children to read.
► CORE BIBLICAL TEXTS for adults.
► FAVORITE BIBLE STORIES for children.